Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween


It seems that Halloween wasn't such a big deal when we were kids. Actually I can't remember anything about Halloween in my younger years. Maybe it was because David had a costume, that the subject came up at supper that Halloween in 1955. Mom said that she could make up some costumes for Tommy and I. She blackened our faces with a charred cork. I was made up as a hobo and Tommy became Aunt Jemima. When we went to a house we didn't say 'Trick or Treat'; we said 'Do you have any handouts?'.


Notice the headline on the newspaper 'Big 3 Fear Middle East War'. Some things don't change.

5 comments:

Dede said...

Wow...I have a totally different memory of Halloween. I seem to recall that we would go out for 2 or 3 nights to hit all the houses to get a good stash of candy! Things were sure different...you could walk with your friends with no parents and also no instructions to not eat anything until they had inspected it.

I remember my mom and dad looking thru my candy to see if they could talk me outta the good stuff. It sometimes worked. One year, when I went trick or treating on Eagle Point, one of the first houses I went to gave each of us kids a bunch of concord grapes!! What a mess!!

When I started St. Pat's in the 5th grade, the nuns required that we dressed up as Saints for the school day...that was difficult, but as always, a learning experience. You had to get up in front of the class to tell about your saint.

Such a good simple life that we had...

Dede said...

BTW.......you and Tommy were VERY politcally incorrect!!

Rich said...

Yes, I do remember going out for 2 or 3 nights to get more candy. Seems like maybe we didn't dress up too much when we did that.
I forgot about St. Pat's. We went home for lunch, and when we came back we were suppose to be dressed up. Then we'd go out for a walk around the neighborhood - in line, two abreast.

Anonymous said...

dave (dada)
I remember the devils costume and Rich and Tom in those costumes. I was in the 1st grade and wore that to school for the parade. Remember the next day Sr. Dolarosa saying she couldn't believe somebody would wear a devils costume to school for halloween.

Anonymous said...

Nancy said...
Neat! I also remember dressing as a hobo and going several nights for "handouts" on Halloween. Don't know how that got started.