Sunday, February 28, 2010

I am REALLY a Crotty..

As I begin the next phase of my life, I find that those Crotty 'no frills' genes are really part of who I am.

When I started looking thru the accumulation of over 40 years of marriage, I initially wanted to save everything. As I go thru it each time, more and more 'stuff' is getting discarded, ready to be sold at a garage sale, or donated. I finally realized that my memories are not in 'things', but in the memories I will carry with me wherever I go.

I recently sent my daughter Robin a text asking her if she wanted something. She replied that yes, she would like it, but the Crotty in her says no!! So, she declined whatever item it was, and really only wants things that remind her of her home here and her Dad. I think Kevin is realizing too that it is possible to have too many things that really don't mean that much.

Another "Anna" thought...I have decided to take minimal furniture mainly because it seems foolish to drag with me what I will not need. I will be starting my apartment in Jacksonville with only my recliners, no sofa! It reminded me of a post Mary Ann made that Anna was the only person she ever knew who had no sofa in their living room. Mary Ann...I know you are up there laughing!!

I will never start pitching family heirlooms and pictures out of the attic window though!!

1 comment:

Rich said...

Excellent. I smiled the whole time I read it. As I read the second paragraph I couldn't help thinking of Anna. Great ending!