Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Crotty legacy

We know that Grandpa's father was David, and that he died on December 10, 1876, aged 28 years and 8 months. The 1871-72 City Directory has the following two entries:

Crotty, David Jr., Saloon, 410 State - Boards at Wm. Power
Crotty, David, Blacksmith helper, Erie Car Works - Boards at Wm. Power

I believe David Jr. is our great-grandfather. Is the other David his father or cousin?

Who is Wm. Power? Was he grandma Powers husband? (When my mother was young she said the family sometimes mentioned grandma Powers, but she wasn't sure who she was).

The cemetery records have a P. Crotty as being buried in the same lot as grandma, grandpa and David Crotty. Who was this P. Crotty?

When did the Crotty's come to Erie? Where in Ireland did they live? Who were David Crotty's parents?

What did grandpa do during the Spanish-American War?



Answers to these and other questions may have been answered by the contents in the attic of 509 Parade St. In the summer of 1946 the house was sold to the Filipkowski's. One day before they moved in, I was riding my tricycle up the sidewalk past the house. I heard a crash and looked in the narrow area between 509 and 511. There on the ground was a lot of "junk"! Anna was in the attic on the 3rd floor, and was throwing everything out the window. I quickly went home and told my mother that "Anna was throwing stuff out the window"! She quickly ran up to 509. She was upset with Anna. After awhile, my mother picked up two antique picture frames. Nothing else was done. Everything was lost.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

We may never have the answers to the questions that Richard asks in his original post.

I do know that in the section of the cemetary where David Crotty & our grandparents are buried Uncle Pierre & his wife Helen are also buried. Uncle Pierre may be the P. Crotty that Richard asked about.

I remember being told that when grandpa Crotty was in the Spanish-American War he contracted malaria.

My dad, Harry, also told the story of Anna throwing things out the 3rd floor window at 509 Parade. He had agreeded to help Anna clean out the attic & when he got there she was busy throwing out what my dad described as many valuable antiques. He couldn't believe what she was doing.

I wonder what reaction grandma & grandpa had.

Rich said...

Grandpa brother Pierre is buried in Calvary Cemetery.