Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Memories of Pierre and Helen



The thing I remember most about Pierre, is how do you spell "Peery"? I always wondered about that.

My memories of Pierre and Helen are not as abundant as those of the rest of the family. I remember them living in strange little apartments...one that I remember was on lower State Street. I recall Helen as a very sweet lady, but very nervous or ill at ease around all of us. (I guess we were an intimidating bunch!)

I do remember when Pierre was the janitor at Edison school. I was in the second grade in Mrs. McGovern's class and was sitting in the first row. (probably because I talked so much!) He came in to empty the trash and said "Hi, Dede!" I was so embarassed because all the kids laughed at the name Dede (they knew me as Doris) I also think some of the laughs were because my uncle was a janitor.

As a kid, I had attended numerous funerals of the Sullivan sisters. When Pierre died, I believe that I was 16 or 17. It was the first time that I really locked into the fact that my parents could die too and I wasn't ready for that.

Hindsight working now, I wish I had known them better. This picture is from Richie Barron. Inscription reads :Geom Class East HS 1924".

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

When remembering Uncle Pierre, the first thing that comes to me is his really white hair.

My mom told me that Virginia & Pierre were very smart. And that Pierre gave nicknames to his family members. I can only remember a few. He called grandma Crotty Cutie & my mom, Julia, Tulip. Maybe that's how Virginia got her nickname, Tinny.

Helen's maiden name was Blossey. Her brother had a tuxedo rental store at 11th & East Avenue.

Looking at the picture of Pierre when he was in High School I can see a strong resemblance to Anna & Betty.

Rich said...

My mother said that Pierre quit high school when he got a job working for a stock broker firm. She said that he was very proud and happy at his job. Then the 1929 stock market crash occurred, and his life changed forever.