Friday, November 2, 2007

Aunt Hannah...


Aunt Hannah.....it seemed like she was a permanent fixture in Anna's living room....I remember her smoking and being cranky.....she would give me money to go to the corner store to buy her some candy bars. She would give me a quarter and I had to get her five candy bars. I would go back to Anna's and give her the candy bars....she would stick them in her pocket and never give me one. As a kid, I thought that was very mean. I guess I still think it was kind of mean!!

I have memories of her living on East 5th street in the same flat that Uncle Humphrey lived in.
-
The following is by Richard -
I don't really remember too much about Aunt Hannah. She was born in 1875 and died on May 17, 1960 at the age of 85. Some time in the 1950's, Anna told her mother's sister that she could come and live with her. One thing that sticks in my mind was that Anna gave up her TV chair so that Hannah could sit there. I remember a few times Anna came over to talk with my mother because she was so upset over Aunt Hannah.

My mom related this story. She had always admired a ring with a blue stone that Aunt Hannah wore. She told Hannah that she liked the ring, and if someday she no longer wanted the ring, could she have it. She gave it to mom. It was Hannah's engagement ring, and when the engagement was broken she just kept the ring.
-
This picture is of Aunt Hannah in 1952.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Dede asked in a previous post, "What did Hannah do for a living." That's a good question.

Nancy & I stopped to visit Aunt Hannah a few times when she lived on East 5th St. I remember that she didn't have much in her flat.

I can't remember when Hannah moved in with Anna or how long she lived with Anna. I believe when she was living with Anna she fell & broke her hip.

When Hannah became really ill she had to be placed in a Nursing Home. I took my mom & Anna to the County Nursing Home in Girard, PA to visit her. Hannah was so happy to see us. The place was so depressing. Since that visit I have had a dislike for nursing homes.