Thursday, November 1, 2007

Memories of Mike...



I don’t think we can fully acknowledge our growing up without also paying homage to the brave men and women that married into the Crotty Family!
These brave souls did not just marry their intended, they married the whole family. We all need to share their story.
While reading through the Cousins15 blog, I realized that one very important person (to me, anyway) was my Dad, Mike Jackson.
Memories of my Dad, a great sense of humor, a ready smile, and total love for his family. He was first and foremost a family man…and his family included all the Crottys as well as the Jacksons. There was no difference to him. Family was family.
He had nicknames for some of the cousins, and always affectionately referred to Uncle Tom as "The Barron". He would set out on Saturdays and to go "around the block". This was Mike speak for going to the Callahans and/or Anna’s for a beer (or Mozdy’s or Sophies). He could always be convinced to have just one more….
When I was a senior at St. Ben’s, we had a Dad and Grad banquet. The night before the banquet, I came home and found him sitting on the couch with 2 front teeth missing!! I was horrified…how was he going to go to the banquet? He gave me this huge gap toothed grin and said nobody would notice….he looked awful!! My mother was sitting there staring intently at theTV not saying a word and ignoring me. Finally, he started laughing and pulled out a small black candy wrapper that he had stuck to his teeth. I was saved!! He would not look awful…..we went to the banquet…I had never noticed before that my father had good table manners…….It was very evident when compared to some of my friends fathers. I was so proud. After the banquet, he and I went to the Turners. Elsie Campbell was playing the piano. We sat at the bar, Dad had a beer, and I had a pop. I was 17 and felt so grown up. I have a picture (thanks Richie) taken that night in front of Anna’s, that I will add later.
Dad always helped everyone, not expecting anything in return.
Dad was born in Avoca, Pa on March 17, 1912. Extremely proud to be 100% Irish and born on that day. His parents were Will and Annie Jackson. He was one of 5 children, all gone now. After graduating from high school, he hung around Avoca for a while. There were no jobs there, except for the coal mines. He went to New York City and lived with a distant cousin while working for Horn and Hardart (an automat). I do not know how long he stayed, but at some point decided to move on. This was in the middle to late depression, and jobs were scarce. He relocated to the thriving metropolis of Erie, PA. When he came to Erie, he lived with his cousin, John Tormey and his wife Margaret at 304 Myrtle Street. This is where the relationships get interesting.
While living there, he worked at Parker White Metal (I believe), but I don’t know for how long. When WWII began, Uncle Sam tapped him on the shoulder, and he was in the Army. At some point during this time, he met my mother. Dad’s other cousin, Leo Tormey and wife Elizabeth, lived in the other half of the duplex with Julia and Harry. To complicate this further, Elizabeth and Harry were cousins. During my Dad’s stint in the Army, he met and married Virginia and 6 year old Nancy!! Like most that have served during war time, he did not talk about it. I believe that he was infantry and served in Germany and possibly the Phillipines too.
When Dad got out of the Army, they moved into the little house at 411 East 5th St. Dad took a civil service test for the post office and was qualified for a job in Pittsburgh. They elected not to go….it was either the fact that they were expecting me (!) or they just didn’t want to leave Erie. They stayed, I was born, and the rest is history.
We moved to Eagle Point when I was 4………It was a little house, but I loved it. Dad stayed on after my mother died, but was lonely and decided to move to Houston and live with us. I think it was more a decision to be closer to his little grandson, Kevin Michael.
An important side note here, Dad and Mom were looking forward to his retirement so they could kick back and enjoy life and to spend more time with Nancy and I. Mom died before this happened. When I decided to retire at age 58, one of the 20 reasons that I retired was so that I could truly enjoy my life, my husband, my children and grandchildren. Life is too short…..grab it while you can!!
Dad brought many laughs to all of us during his life and I thank him for being the strong man that he was. I still think about him.

3 comments:

Dede said...

Today is Sunday.... I remember that we always ate our Sunday dinner at noon. We would listen to "Music for Sunday" hosted by Skip Letcher (?). His theme tune was "Tonight We Love" (adapted from a classical tune, I believe) My mother and father would lock eyes when that played....My Dad said it was their song....:)

Mary Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ann said...

Mike along with my dad, Harry, Tom, Willie & Norma truly married the whole Crotty family. It has been a blessing for all of us to have such great uncles & a great aunt in the family.

I remember Mike stopping at my home in the afternoon of Christmas Eve. He would drop off a gift for my daughter, Karen, from Dede. Dede is Karen's Godmother. Mike would have a beer or two & we would chat for awhile. I always looked forward to his visit.