Monday, December 3, 2007

Crotty’s West Third St. Residence

Grandpa & Grandma Crotty had lived on West Third St. between Myrtle & Chestnut Streets sometime before moving to 509 Parade St. Grandpa Crotty ran the tavern that sometime later became Sophia’s Tavern. Some may remember that Sophia’s Tavern was across & down the street from where we, the Callahan’s, lived.

The tavern had a residence connected to the back. My mother, Julia, was born there. Her uncle, probably Dr. Wilson, delivered her. She was baptized immediately after birth. There must have been a problem because she was the only one of the nine children that was born at home.

I’m not sure how long they had lived on West Third St. My mom said that the drivers of the beer trucks use to give her & Pierre rides on their trucks until one day Pierre fell off and was seriously hurt.

I wonder if Grandpa Crotty had owned that tavern.

Does anyone know of any other places they may have lived?

Richard may have some resources to help answer my questions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, I ccidently came across your page looking for my St Patricks 1956 memories!!! Actually was a good friend of Pat Callahan, lived at 314 West 3rd after marriage, 1963 until 1969. I lived at 502 Parade at the age of 12-13!! Friends with Pat and Angie when they lived next door at 312 West 3rd. Had St Mary Pascal in 8th Grade!!