Monday, March 31, 2008

65th Wedding Anniversary...

Today, March 31, would have been Virginia and Mike's 65th wedding anniversary.

As I think about my parents on this day, I recall little vignettes of that day as told to me by my parents.

It was during World War II, and the 'rules' for getting married to a serviceman were liberal. No waiting period was required, and this was before the days of the Pre Cana marriage counseling. Basically, a couple could get married whenever the military person made it home. I believe Dad was stationed in Texas (how ironic!) at that time, and was scheduled to arrive in Erie by train. When my mother knew his arrival was imminent, she called St. Patrick's (Fr. Hastings, I believe) to schedule the wedding.

When Dad came home, he went to the jewelry store to buy my mother's ring. It was a narrow white gold band with orange blossom engravings on it. It cost the princely sum of $10.00. My mother never had that ring off her finger, and was buried with it at my Dad's request.

The Crotty clan then called the 'family'.....aunts, uncles, and cousins to attend the ceremony. They were married at 5:00 on a Wednesday afternoon...Julia and Harry were their attendants. If I remember the telling of this information correctly,they had a family dinner at the Antlers Club.

Dad always like to joke that they almost got married on April Fools Day...and he wondered aloud that if they DID get married on April Fools day, would the marriage
be valid or not??

I have the newspaper clipping and will add it to this posting.

Ya got to love Mike's sense of humor. Happy anniversary Mom and Dad!!

No comments: