Saturday, March 22, 2008

In my Easter Bonnet; Easter Sunday in the 1950's...


As Easter Sunday approaches, I remember back to my childhood. I always had a new outfit for Easter Sunday...didn't we all?

One time when Kevin was little, he and I were looking through the album of pictures from when I was a kid.

There is a picture of me taken on Easter Sunday in our backyard on Eagle Point, Anna by my side. I was happy and grinning in my new clothes. This would have been around 1955, and I would have been about 9. I had a dress (with a crinoline underneath), patent leather shoes, white anklets, and a short white jacket that was called a topper. To cap off the ensemble, I had a hat on my head that looked like a dinner plate with a flower on top!! My hair was kinda fuzzy (permanent from Lucille??).

When Kevin saw the picture (he was around 5 at the time) he looked at it very carefully, then looked up at me with a very solemn look, and said, "Mommy, were you poor when you were little? " In his mind, I looked like an urchin!! At that time,1955, I thought I looked gorgeous. Now when I look at it, I see only the happy little girl that day.

I laughed so hard, tears were coming to my eyes. Out of the mouths of babes...

5 comments:

Rich said...

The thing I remember about Easter is looking for our baskets in the morning. Tommy and I each got three baskets - small, medium and large. My dad was a really good hider. One hiding place that sticks out in my mind was the basket that was hung on the back of a door at the very top. We always made our candy last as long as possible. Eating the Easter eggs was duty eating :-)

Dede said...

What about David? No Easter Baskets??

Rich said...

This was before David was born.

Anonymous said...

C'mon cousins....some of you have got to have some Easter memories!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....who is 'anonymous'?