Friday, September 14, 2007

Memories of Betty and Willie...


When I think about Betty and Willie, I immediately picture Betty of the 1950's era. Black hair pulled back in a bun, dressed to the nines, and very high heels....always the character. And her laugh!!! Willie.......just being Willie, now the last of the aunts and uncles.

I remember their house on East Lake Road........first with just Lucy and Mike, and then little Ann made her debut. I was going to St. Pat's then and rode the bus. I would stop after school, just to see the baby, and Betty would let me hold her. Such a big thrill!!

At Christmas time, the room off the living room (sun room?) would have a huge tree......in my child's mind it was the biggest tree ever. When I would go over there, they had no backyard, so Lucy, Mike, and I would run through the house like wild indians!

When I made my first communion, the Rastatters came to it....Lucy and Mike were dressed up so cute. We have a picture (attached)of the 3 of us on Eagle Point on that day. My dress was scratchy and Lucy and Mike looked uncomfortable in their church clothes.

Betty and Willie moved alot....it was always an adventure to see where they moved next. I remember the downstairs flat across from St. Pat's church. Also the house on 5th st next to St. Pat's school....little Ann would stand and peek through the fence at the kids on the playground....she was such a solemn child!! I think she was trying to figure out the world and her place in it.

I also remember the flat on Parade Street between 6th and 7th.

I remember the picture of little Ann and butchy dog looking out the front window....like they were waiting for someone to come home. Did uncle Tom take that one?

When I was a freshman at St. Ben's we were allowed to bring a younger child to school one day...I think it was for a Christmas program and we were encouraged to bring little ones. Betty let me take Ann to school. I was so proud of her. She would have been around 4 yrs old.

Turnwald (aka Turners Farm) I remember Mike falling in the creek and me pulling him out. I don't think any of us were supposed to be down there.

I remember Mrs. Razanauskas and Stanley in the house on Ash between 5th and 6th. Mrs. R made the best pickles ever.......every time I eat a dill pickle, I mentally compare it to those. I remember Lucy and I made dill pickles and peanut butter sandwiches at our house on Eagle Point. They were pretty tasty.

I also remember that when Lucy ate, she either ate one thing all at once OR she had to make sure no food was touching another...not sure which it was.

My mother loved pickled pigs feet (yuck). She would get them from Betty....did Mrs. R. do those also??

I remember Madeline and Paul Eighmy.....for years I thought I was related to them!!

When I was in my teens or early 20's, they lived on East 6th st. During their later years, they moved to Florida and then back to what little Pat refers to as 'the center of the universe, Erie'.

Dear Uncle Willie.........I can't wait until he gets online again to get his wonderful jokes and his prayers for all of us.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Betty was a champion swimmer. She swam for the local YWCA. She had her own personal trainer.

Betty didn't talk much about that time in her life.

I remember when Betty & Willie lived on the second floor of Dr. Stephany's home on East 6th St. between French & Holland. Dr. Stephany was a dentist and his office was also on the second floor. A door separated the waiting room of his office & Betty & Willie's apartment. When we were young Dr. Stephany was our dentist. Betty was his dental assistant. I remember that Lucy was a baby at that time.

I baby sat for Lucy & Mike when Betty & Willie lived on East Lake Road. Betty was expecting Ann when they lived there. They would always have Mrs. Razanauskas pickles in the refrigerator for me. The best pickles ever.

Dede mentioned dill pickles & peanut butter sandwiches. I still have one every once in a while.

The pickled pigs feet came from Mrs. Razanauskas. My mom also loved them.

I think Betty was the only Crotty sister that didn't play cards. If I'm wrong let me know.

Blog Archive