Monday, September 10, 2007

Memories of Julia and Harry....

My memories of Julia and Harry center around the house on West 3rd St. Kids always running through the house...the glider on the front porch...and Leo Tormey going into the back shed and swiping Harry's beer!! The boys all shared a big bedroom at the front of the house...it was like a dormitory.

One very clear memory was a time when David was lost. Julia was frantic and calling everyone. She finally called later and said that David had crawled under one of the beds and was back in the corner sound asleep.

I remember Julia sitting in her rocker in the living room. I also have a very early recollection of a very old lady (Harry's mother?) also being in the room.

Every summer, we would go with the Callahans (and Anna) to Conneaut Lake Park for 'nickel day'. It was looked forward to before the event, and remembered after. After the return from Conneaut Lake, we would go to an Italian restaurant on Liberty street.

The Callahan's house was the place to be to go down to Chestnut Street Pool. Girls and boys had separate days...Boys: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and Girls: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Thinking back, I can't believe we actually went in that water! We would take our lunch and spend the whole day there....then trek back up the hill to Julia's.

In the early 50's, Julia had to be hospitalized. During that time, David stayed with us. Nancy and I slept in our double bed, and David slept on Dad's old army cot, all in that little bedroom on Eagle Point. Harry would make his rounds in the evening to visit his farmed out kids. He brought Da Da and I coloring books.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Leo Tormey not only swiped my Dad's beer he also swiped my mom's cold chicken, her favorite snack. This was on the weekends after he had visited all the taverns & clubs. He would come in our back door and whisper, "Don't let red, Elizabeth, know I'm here." My dad would get really mad at him. Then the next day or so everything was forgotten.

The Chestnut Street Pool was the best place to be in the summer. When my friends & I got older we figured out how to use the pool on boys days when it closed for lunch & dinner. Just bake the life guards some cookies, a cake or make them some fudge. Yes it was a bribe, but it worked.

When my mom was in the hospital in the early 50's for a hysterectomy and David was staying with Mike & Virginia my brother, Pat, was also in the hospital at the same time. He was in the hospital for tests. The doctor's discovered that he had polio. That was a rough time for my dad. I remember how worried he was about my mom & Pat. Thanks to the families on both sides he had lots of help.

Blog Archive